When Donald Trump chose Mike Pence as his running mate, few were surprised. He’s a boring conservative white guy, without the baggage that Newt Gingrich and Chris Christie holds. Liberals were somewhat pleased that they found a guy who was against Trump’s idea to ban all Muslims from entering the U.S.
Calls to ban Muslims from entering the U.S. are offensive and unconstitutional.
— Governor Mike Pence (@GovPenceIN) December 8, 2015
But Pence has ALREADY backtracked on the above.
On Friday Pence said he agrees with Donald Trump’s call to ban Muslims from countries with heavy terrorist activity from entering the U.S. When Trump first called for a “total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States” back in December, Pence said the proposal was “offensive and unconstitutional.”
Fox News’ Sean Hannity asked Pence about the issue during an interview that aired Friday night. Pence said, “I am very supportive of Donald Trump’s call to temporarily suspend immigration from countries where terrorist influence and impact represents a threat to the United States.”
Pence added, “What I’ve heard from Donald Trump, and I believe the position he’s articulated that resonates with millions of Americans, is that we’ve got to find out what’s going on, and we’ve got to do something different, and we’ve got to put the safety and security of the American people first.”
Pence was not asked about whether he believed all Muslims should be banned from entering the U.S., as Trump originally proposed in December. Last month, Trump softened his position on the ban, saying the policy wouldn’t apply to Muslims from countries not typically associated with terrorism.