American political commentator, professor, and author Robert Reich is fed up with Mitch McConnell. He’s disgusted by the fact that Mitch McConnell stole the Supreme Court vacancy.
Reich decided to create a list of McConnell’s despicable actions over the years. He believes McConnell is a huge danger to American democracy and the moves he single-handedly made are destroying America’s foundation.
Reich wrote the following statement on his Facebook page:
“No man has done more in recent years to undermine the functioning of U.S. government than Mitch McConnell. For example:
1. As Majority Leader of the Senate, McConnell famously declared in 2010: “The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.”
2. By 2013, McConnell had led filibusters of 79 of Obama’s court nominees, compared with 68 in the entire previous history of the Republic.
3. After Justice Antonin Scalia’s death was confirmed last year, it took McConnell less than an hour to say that the vacancy should be filled by the next president. He called keeping Obama’s nominee off the court “one of my proudest moments.”
4. Although his predecessors as majority leaders at least attempted collegiality, McConnell practices no such niceties (recall his recent silencing of Senator Elizabeth Warren).
5. Now comes his use of the “nuclear option,” ending the filibuster on Supreme Court nominees, killing the tradition of unlimited debate in the Senate dating back to 1789. Two years ago, when Obama was president, McConnell said he would abolish filibusters of Supreme Court justices only if there were 67 votes for such a change. This week, he employed a maneuver to do it with 51 votes.
McConnell has consistently placed party over country. He is no patriot. He has shamed himself, the Republican Party, and America.”
Are you glad to see that Reich singled out McConnell?
*Please let us know in the comments section below*